Background

Monday, November 8, 2010

Punctal Plugs

Day 12
Today I went back to the TLC Surgery Center to follow-up with the surgeon...and hopefully figure out what the heck is going on with my vision.  The doctor confirmed that I was healing much slower than normal...more like how an elderly person would heal.  Ha!  He explained that when the epithelial layer of the cornea grows back, it does so from the outside in.  So basically it comes together in the center and makes a ridge.  This ridge usually goes away within about a week for most patients, but of course, for me it's taking much longer.  This is what is causing me to have blurry vision & double vision.  I'm trying to see the world through a ridge in my eye.  The surgeon feels that my chronic dry eye is what is causing the slowed healing process.  Even though I don't feel like my eye is dry most of the time, on exam he said he could see irritation.  I'm already taking eye drops for chronic dry eye & steroid eye drop, but he added some prescription lubricating drops to take frequently throughout the day. 

He also suggested...drum roll...a punctal plug.  This is a device placed into the tear duct to combat dry eye.  The device plugs that duct so that moisture (eye drops in my case) do not drain into that duct...and instead remain in the eye.  Here's a couple of images just in case you are wondering what the heck I'm talking about.  It looks way worse than it really way.  End result...good prognosis but delayed healing.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that the prognosis is good! eat some carrots girly!!

    ReplyDelete