Background

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Grey's World: Surviving Daycare



Grey survived his first week at daycare...and so did his parents!  Yahoo!  I must admit it was a challenging week for us all, but it went better than expected.  I never imagined myself a SAHM, but when I was home with Grey those first 12 weeks, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.  Seriously!  I was having such anxiety about going back to work & sending him to daycare.  it was crazy!  Fortunately or unfortunately for us (however you look at it), we cannot live on one income alone, so off to work I went.  *sniff, sniff*

The first two weeks back at work weren't too bad at all.  Daddy was home with him the first week (#daddydaycare), and his Oma came up to stay with him the second week.  This meant pictures and videos throughout the day...and even some telecommute days for me sneaking downstairs at lunch to see him.  

This past week reality reared its ugly head, and we were forced to send Grey off to daycare.  Monday was a holiday for both Chad & I.  So we decided to take Grey for a half day to allow us to run some errands.  It's amazing how much faster you can get things done if you're not lugging a car seat!  :)  We also stopped for lunch at one of our favorites, Affare.  #daydate  #adultsonly  It was KC Restaurant Week and lunch was exceptionally yummy.  Grey did great his first day and was quite tired that evening from all the stimulation.    Lucky for us that he has some wonderful teachers there that like to send us pics during the day!  




The rest of the week at daycare played out quite similarly...

Grey stimulated = little napping = tired little boy

Being first time parents, we didn't really have a good idea how this would play out for us at home in the evenings.  Cue screaming infant.  Come to find out when a baby is stimulated all day and doesn't nap well, they come home to you overtired and cranky.  LOL.  So we spent most evenings last week swaddling & rocking.  Once Grey would finally drift off, he slept like a log causing us to wake him for feeds!

Actually by the end of the week his napping had increased to 3 hrs during the day from 90 minutes.  I'm thinking that as he gets more used to his new surroundings, he'll nap for longer stretches, and our evenings will be calmer.  #fingerscrossed  The piece that I actually missed the most all week was spending time with Grey in the evenings.  I totally didn't expect that.  We spent our time calming him or feeding him, but otherwise he slept the whole time.  I complete missed engaging with him, making him smile, reading to him, etc.  Luckily for him, he was getting that all day long, which will make my time with him on the weekends more precious.



(Oh, I totally wouldn't have made it through this first week of daycare without our Blue Apron shipment.  More on that soon.  it was a lifesaver!)

Pray for better napping as we embark on our second week of daycare!

No comments:

Post a Comment