Background

Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016 - A Year of Firsts

Au revoir 2015!  You've been good to me!  As good as 2015 was, I'm excited for fabulous 2016!

As I look back on my New Year's post for 2015, I realized that I 2015 went a bit differently than I thought it would....good different!  :)  In last year's post, I talked about my yearn for passion.  I also wrote about not being sure how to add that back into my life.  At the time that I wrote that post, there were two main things going on.

1) We had just signed up to be volunteers with Great Plains SPCA.

2) We had just failed our 2nd round of infertility treatments.

So my post was actually about volunteering at the animal shelter & veterinary clinic...but the world surprised us last January.  In mid January, we went through our 3rd IUI (an infertility treatment), and I was so sure that this treatment hadn't worked either.  Chad and I actually went on a long walk to discuss the possibility of IVF treatments.  We came back from the 2+ hour walk with the decision that we would try it once.  (It wasn't a route that I ever wanted to go...nor is it a route that is affordable.)  The next morning when I took the test, we were both blown away.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I got up extra early - before Chad - and took the test...expecting it to show a negative just like it had for many months over the last year.  As you know by now, the outcome was very different!  I was preggers!!

The only unfortunate outcome of being pregnant was the fact that we had to cancel our planned volunteerism with SPCA.  Being pregnant isn't conducive to helping out with a shelter.  I didn't want to commit to something that I couldn't keep up with.  Hopefully we can volunteer as a family in the coming years.  It's a goal of mine to teach Grey to be kind and love animals.  <3

The majority of 2015 was spent being pregnant.  I always pictured being as "big as a house" when pregnant, but it turned out that I gained only 19 lbs.  Hallelujah!  The pregnancy went well for the most part with a small amount of bedrest at the end for elevated blood pressure.  The best part?  None of this effected my resilient Grey, who arrived in this world in early October.  The remainder of 2015 was spent finding my footing as a parent.  The first month was the hardest, but I really enjoyed it overall.

Overall 2015 exceeded my expectations!  I really couldn't ask for anything more.  Amazing!



Bonjour 2016!!

My resolution in 2016 is...wait for it...lame "mom" thing coming...

...to be the best working Mom I can be!

As many of you know, I had much anxiety about going back to work after maternity leave. I've only a few work days under my belt, but those went better than I expected.  Our family cannot continue on without my salary, so I've no choice but to forge ahead with work.  My job as a Senior Director of a large health plan requires a lot of time and effort. Historically, I've spent many, many days working evenings and weekends.  I'm hoping to change my management style to help balance work with life.  Fingers crossed that works!!

I expect 2016 to be a year of "firsts".  Both Grey and I (and Chad) will be experiencing so many things for the first time.  As I mentioned above, I've really enjoyed "mommy-hood" more than I thought I would.  So many things are different than I imagined they would be...or I would be.  I can only hope that continues...as it's been on good surprises so far.

We're looking forward to many things this year...mostly involving Grey.  Crawling.  Walking.  First words.  Swimming at OPP.  Grilling out with friends.  First plane ride. First beach visit.  (The list goes on and on.)

With all these firsts, I can only expect this year to be a good one.  I hope it doesn't prove me wrong.

Cheers to you in the New Year!  


No comments:

Post a Comment