Background

Monday, July 5, 2010

Gotta love a Monday holiday!

I love, love, LOVE when a holiday falls on a weekend and I get an additional day off!!!  Woo hoo for Monday holidays!!!!  Today I had plenty to get done around the house, but I decided not to...and it felt good!  Ha!  


For the last week, I've been planning to make fish tacos for Chad & I.  (Recipe & pics to follow.)  So the first thing I did today was to scoot on over to Dierberg's and pick up all the necessary ingredients.  It's amazing how much better the selection of seafood is at Dierberg's than it is at Schnuck's.  After the fish was bathing in the marinade, I decided to take the rest of the afternoon off...and went to hang out with the fam at my cousin's pool!  I had completely lost my tan from vacay...but I finally got some color back.  Happy days!  Here's a pic of my little cuz, Emily, taking a plunge...


This evening Chad and I made the fish tacos with fresh pico de gallo & sour cream/adobo sauce (recipes to follow).  I topped off the dinner with Bush's Fiesta Black Beans & Zataran's Spanish Rice.


Marinade: 
  1/4 cup EVOO
  2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
  2 tsp lime zest
  2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  1.5 tsp honey
  2 cloves garlic, minced
  1/2 tsp cumin
  1/2 tsp chili powder
  1 tsp seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay (I used Emeril's Fish Rub)
  1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  1 tsp hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
  1 lb tilapia filets, cut into chunks

To make the marinade, whisk together the above ingredients until blended.  Place the tilapia in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the fish.  Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
Here's mine....
  
 Dressing:
  1 (8 oz) container light sour cream
  1/2 cup adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
  2 tsp lime zest
  2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  1/4 tsp cumin
  1/4 tsp chili powder
  1/2 tsp seafood seasoning
  Salt & pepper to taste

To make the dressing, combine the sour cream & adobo sauce in a bowl.  Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, & seafood seasoning.  Add the salt & pepper.  Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Pico de Gallo:
  2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
  1/2 white onion, chopped
  1 red jalapeno chili, seeded & finely chopped (I also added a green jalapeno chili for extra heat!)
  2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
  2 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Remove fish from the marinade, drain off excess and discard the remainder.  Grill fish pieces until easily flaked with a fork, turning once, about 9 minutes.  Warm tortillas over the grill for about 10-15 seconds on each side.  Assemble tacos by placing fish pieces in the center of tortillas with desired toppings.  (I layered the fish with the sauce, pico de gallo & some shredded cabbage.)  Yumm-o!!!!  I cannot wait to make it again!!  Here's the finished product...
 

1 comment: