Background

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Happy Birthday!

Today two very important people in my life were born...my cousin, Mikie (or Mike, as I'm sure he'd prefer) and my great grandmother, Omi.

Mikie and I grew up practically as brother and sister.  I'm about 4 months older than him, which I used to brag about.  But now that I've reached my 30's, I'd prefer to be the younger one!  Ha!  Funny how perspective changes through the years.  We did almost everything together when we were younger.  I remember those days quite fondly...even those times when we were sentenced to opposite sides of the couch for fighting.  I have some great pics of those days.  I'm definitely going to have to make an effort to scanning those old pics to the computer.  Mike has a lovely family now.  Here's a pic of them from last Christmas!
Sending love of love and birthday wishes your way today, Mike!


It's also my great-grandma, Omi's, birthday today. If I'm calculating correctly, she would have been 102 today. She was born and raised in Germany and passed away a few years ago. My grandmother, Hilde, and mother, Pat, were also born in Germany. They came to the States when my mother was just a couple years old. The last time Omi came to the States to visit was when my mother was pregnant with me in 1977. I finally got a chance to meet Omi in 2004 when me, mom and grandma went to Wiesbaden to visit. It was a once in a lifetime experience!!! Here's a few pics from that trip. (Please pardon the horrible hairdo that I was sporting back then.)

The birthday girl!

My grandma and her mother

One of my favorite pics...my grandmother and her sister, Gisela, celebrating at Gisela's home in Switzerland.



Me and Omi!

 Mom and Omi!

So this weekend we are celebrating Omi with a German dinner at my house!!  I'm cooking all the fixings needed for a German feast...schnitzel, spaetzle, red cabbage, German potato salad, sauerkraut...and of course, beer!  Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment