Background

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Lisa 1 - Unemployment 0

This year has been particularly stressful for me...moving away from "home", starting a new job, making new friends (age the age of 35), missing family/friend events, etc.  One of the most stressful things was finding out that my company was not awarded the 2013 Kansas contract, which meant I was faced with the possibility of unemployment for the first time in my life.  I have many friends and family that unfortunately have had to experience this already...but actually facing the reality that it was happening to me was a reality check!  Searching for jobs on the internet day in and day out...networking...trying to figure out where you belong...it really becomes a depressing situation.  In addition to facing this, I've also had to face the fact that this was happening to all of my staff many of which I had only hired a few months before we found out.  I've almost felt responsible for their livelihood...kind of like a parent would be.  To date, I can happily say that 30+ of my staff have found new jobs...and now I can say that about myself!  Yahoo!!  I'll release more details as soon as I actually start the job in December, but it's in the same line of work that I've been doing the psat 10+ years...just for another insurance company.  It's going to be super busy and require long hours for the first year, but at least I won't have to worry too much about income.  Double yahoo!!

On a lighter note, I made one of the two purchases that I promised myself I would make once I secured a job.  The first...the new iPad 4!!  We were still dealing with the iPad 1, which has become so slow and unable to update software.  The second purchase...still to come as soon as I get my 25% off coupon next week...a Coach workbag!!!!  Stay tuned...

I bought a few new pairs of black boots...
Steve Madden


Adrienne Vittadini
 
Tahari






Today we started off the day at Quay Coffee, the little coffee shop across the street from our place.  We come to really enjoy the place.  It's modern & peaceful, and we really enjoy talking to Cory, one of the proprietors of the place.  The businesses on Delaware, the street that we live on join together throughout the year to hold activities that boost the neighborhood.  Today we learned that they are putting up a 16ft real Christmas tree put up in one of the open areas and decorating our street for the holidays.  One of the monthly events that the Delaware business hold is the Wine Walk on Delaware.  The money collected for admission mostly goes to a local charity but some is kept for the neighborhood.  This is the money that is being used for the holiday decorations and tree.  It's nice to see where our money is going.  :)

The rest of today was spent making chili, cleaning and working on a project for my new nephew who's preparing to join us in February.  Hope everyone had a great weekend!  Cheers to employment!!





















1 comment:

  1. congrats Lisa!! That is fantastic news! i have thought about you so much this year as you have really gone through SO much change! You have come through it all smashingly - love those boots too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete