Background

Monday, January 4, 2010

Today is the first day of a healthier lifestyle...

...or so I hope.  I really want to cut back on the unhealthy things in my life.  I just hope I can stick with it.  If I can, I will hopefully lose the extra pounds that I packed on in the last part of 2009...and get back to where I was physically.  So since I was off work on the first business day of the year...and banned from the gym for one last day...I thought I would spend the extra time cooking up a fresh & healthy meal for Chad & I.  Here's what I came up with.  Yummy just the way it is but also with lots of room to add your own flair.  I added some hot sauce & hot Chinese mustard to the stir-fry.



Veggie Fried Rice with 5-Spice Pork
From Every Day with Rachael Ray

2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. long-grain white rice 
5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. thin pork loin chops, thinly sliced
Salt/pepper
2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed & thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
2 small carrots, shredded (a couple of handfuls)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 c. fresh or thawed frozen peas
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1  2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated or minced
1/3 to 1/2 c. tamari
  • In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and 3/4 c. water to a boil.  Stir in the rice, cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes.  Fluff with a fork & spread on a baking sheet to cool.
  • In a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over high heat.  Season the pork with salt, pepper & the five-spice powder.  Add the pork to the pan & stir-fry for 3 min.  Transfer to a plate.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in the skillet, then add the eggs and scramble for 2 min.  Push the eggs to the side of the pan, add the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and lower the heat to medium.  Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper and carrots; stir-fry for 2 min.  Add the scallion, peas, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 min.  Add the cooked rice and crisp it for a couple of min.  Stir in the tamari & reserved pork.     
Green Beans with Carmelized Onions
Courtesy of Rachael Ray

1 Tbsp. EVOO                            1 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion, sliced                  1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
Salt & pepper 
  • In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the EVOO & butter.  Add the onion to the pan.  Cook until light brown & carmelized (about 20 min.)
  • Meanwhile, cook the green beans for for 5 min. in 1 inch of boiling water, covered.  Drain the beans & toss them in the skillet with the onions.  Season with salt & pepper. 
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment